Pizza in America is as much of a staple as baseball, our national pastime! Every kid and adult is a fan of it and, for most; it’s one of our favorite foods. So, where in America can you find the absolute most mouthwatering pies? Well, we did the research so you wouldn’t have to (willingly of course) and narrowed our list to the top 10 picks of the USA!
10. When it comes to pizza, it’s hard to beat a deep dish, Chicago style pie! Pizano’s has nailed the deep dish pizza to perfection. One of Oprah Winfrey’s favorites, Pizano’s pizzas are made from fresh ingredients including high grade fresh tomatoes instead of paste and sausage he makes in house. Try Rudy’s special, a combination of cheese, sausage, mushroom, onion and green pepper a top a thick layer of sliced mozzarella cheese.
9. Next on the list is DeLorenzo’s Tomato Pies. The DeLorenzo family tradition in Robbinsville, New Jersey has been called the “Gold Standard of Pizza by Zagat in New Jersey. Referred to as “tomato pies”, DeLorenzo’s famous tomato sauce is made on the pizza as it cooks from fresh tomatoes crushed by hand with garlic, olive oil and a secret blend of herbs.
8. If you want to truly experience pizza, you’ll have to make your way to New England and visit Pizzeria Regina in Boston, MA. Their pizzas have been baked to perfection in a brick oven since 1926. One of the favorites is the Melanzane pizza, made with fresh sauces, ricotta cheese and topped with eggplant, onions, basil and a blend of romano and mozzarella cheeses.
7. In New Haven, CT, you’ll find Frank Pepe’s Pizzeria Napoletana. Frank Pepe’s signature pizza is the White Clam pizza. Made with fresh clams, grated cheese and fresh garlic, this pizza is ideal for the Connecticut locals and travelers.
6. Anthony Bruno is a master at combining the right blend of ingredients to make his famous coal fired pizzas. At Anthony’s Coal Fired pizza, everyone will find delicious combinations. For the veggie loving fans, the Roasted Cauliflower pizza is a top choice. Meat lovers won’t be able to resist the Paul & Young Ron featuring meatballs, sausage and peppers.
5. Based in Texas, Conan’s offers one of the best pizzas around. Their most famous pizza, the Savage, is a deep pan pizza with a whole wheat dough. Topped with sausage, hamburger, pepperoni, peppers, onion, mushrooms, olives and anchovy, this pizza has just about every food group and is pretty hard to pass up.
4. If you’re in the city of San Francisco, CA, stop by Una Pizza Napoletana. At this local pizzeria, the tradition is based around the fact that a pizza is best cut if it’s cut by you. In addition, Una Pizza Napoletana only offers 5 choices in pizzas and none with the option for meat. So, if you’re a veggie pizza type of guy or gal, this is a place you ought to try.
3. Where else would you go for pizza but Brooklyn, NY? If you’re in the area, stop by Di Fara Pizza. With a long history of having the best pizza in America, Di Fara’s is a no frills pizza parlor with the scent of pizza oozing out of every oven and pan in the place. Di Fara makes their pies by hand with hand crushed tomatoes, Italian cheeses and fresh cut basil. They also offer a round and a square cut option to fit just about any appetite.
2. As a staple in Phoenix, AZ, Pizza Bianco is sought after by travelers around the USA. Definitely make reservations when you visit this popular pizzeria. Made from the top local fresh ingredients, choices in their specialty pizzas include just about every vegetable and meat imaginable. One of the favorites is the Wiseguy made with wood roasted onions, house smoked mozzarella cheese and a unique fennel sausage. If gourmet pastas are what you’re after, Pizza Biancos offers pastas made fresh in house.
1. Last but certainly not least is Famous Joe’s in New York City. When it comes to pizza by the slice, none beat Famous Joe’s, served fresh since 1975. Joe’s Pizza receives top 10 honors year after year and has been referred to as the quintessential New York slice. Served at it’s one and only independently owned location, Joe’s is frequented by famous faces all over the country. Stop in for the best slice of pie in the US and catch a peek of one of the famous faces there too!
Jennie is a blogger and self-described cheese and wine fanatic. She enjoys trying new wines and cheeses from around the world. She likes to purchase cheese from pastacheese.com, a purveyor of fine cheeses, gourmet pastas and other fine culinary goods.